Sunday, January 18, 2009

My wedding dress...


For those who haven't heard the story, I purchased my dress pre-engagement at a church parking lot sale. I got armfuls of vintage goodies like hankies and a Stetson for Sam, but while I was waiting for everyone else I was with to finish looking, I thought I'd take a shot at the glum looking clothing rack, full of floral long 90s dresses. I came across a gray garment bag that said "Old wedding dress" on it. So I unzip it a tad and get a peek at beautiful cream lace. That was all I needed to see, I wanted it, probably for reconstruction, since that kind of lace would be damaged beyond any hope. I waddled to the payment booth, Stetson on head, and a pile of anything and everything in my hands, and set everything down on the table. Two old men ring up everything, then come to the dress, and look for a price. I tell them I didn't see one, so one looks at it and says "How about 75 cents?".

"75 cents?"

"Yeah, is that ok?."

"Um, yeah..."

So I buy it, take it home, and unzip the bag, not to reveal a tattered hopeless gown, but a perfect 1950s lace and tulle dress, with a full skirt, button up back, and matching veil and armlets. Fits like a glove. And that is how I got my wedding dress for 75 cents.