Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Vintage style shoes


"Hello,

I work at a vintage shop up in Seattle, and I am on my feet 8 hours a day. My wardrobe consists of 50s and 60s dresses, and I am in a bind as to what to wear on my feet. I would love to wear my oxford heels every day, but my feet feel like hell after a while. Any suggestions on a comfortable, vintage style shoe? Thank you!

Best,
Nichole"

Even if you are lucky enough to fit into vintage shoes (they usually run small and narrow) their comfort level is quite low. I myself only own a couple pairs of vintage (pre 1960s) shoes, and wear them with caution, both to preserve them, and my feet (and knees, and back...).

I work at a vintage shop too and usually go with mary janes or flats, because as tempting as it is to show off some pretty footwear, at the end of the day it's not worth it one bit. However if you are willing to invest in a good pair of shoes you can have both beauty and comfort (oh modern times!). I've pulled together a collection of vintage inspired shoes from companies that are known for comfort, and a few from Anthropologie, because well, it's Anthropologie :)

1.Black Oxfords by Born, 2.Brown and teal mary janes from Anthropologie, 3.Suede Peep toes by Sofft, 4.Brown military style cropped boots, 5.Wool accented oxfords from Anthropologie, 6.Lace up mary janes by Sofft, 7.Victorian inspired boots by Sofft, 8.Petal shoes by Chie Mihara