Monday, October 11, 2010

1920s Halloween Costumes

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

So I'm not a huge fan of Halloween. I do like the holiday, but don't get super excited for it. I suppose it has to do with the fact that if I want to dress up, I do, not matter the time of year. And I just get really sick of seeing all the cheap, skanky, pre-coordinated costumes at stores, in those little baggies. No imagination. No quality. It's like fast food in clothing form.

Anyway, the only time I really love Halloween, is when I see some vintage costumes, and decorations, specifically from the 1920s. They had the craziest, most imaginative, stunning costumes I've ever seen, even something so cliche as a witch, looks original.

I was searching for ideas for my own costume, and came across the third photo, with the spiderweb costume. And now I am going to be a spiderweb. I was going to go totally 1920s, with an actual black 1920s dress I have stored away, but instead I will wear that sequin leotard I found last week. And I'll just have to make the rest! Although since seeing that crazy picture of the two spiderweb girls and their amazing headdresses, my costume seems much less elaborate now ;)

Set 2, 3, and 4, from Rhiannonmar's photostream

Set 5 from Carbonated's photostream