Friday, September 11, 2009

...and the heat goes on...

Summer still lingers, with hints of Autumn only in the fruit fallen from the trees and cool breeze at night.

Today I read a bit more of "Making the Most of Your Looks", and was really delighted at the amount of hat advice given. People always ask about the right hats for their face, and now I can make a much better judgement. I am working on a series of hat posts, they will probably consist of: How to wear hats according to decade, how to wear hats for your face shape and features, proper use of hat pins, and care and storage of hats. Sound good? Let me know if I'm leaving out anything, or if you have a specific question. Today at work (I work at a vintage store for new readers), a girl tried on a pretty red felt 40s hat, very simple with average crown and medium brim. She put it on the back of her head, looked at it, and took it off. This happened a few times, and I could tell she really liked it, but wasn't quite loving how it looked on her. So I said "that looks really cute, but can I make an adjustment?" "Oh sure" she said. So I pulled it forward, tilted it to the side, and turned part of the brim up. She looked in the mirror and went "Oh wow! I'll take it!"

Here's a bit of what inspired me:

"Do not just put your hat on. Wear it with an air.
Wear it with dignity, or with amusement or allure.
But do not, I beg of you, merely wear it!"




What went on this week:

1. Today on Daddy Likey, the immensely entertaining Winona featured a pic I sent in for the weekly Don't Show-cha Your Chocha. If you've never read it before, then you are missing out, her whole blog is hilarious.

2. I was asked for the fifth time: "Is your hair real?" ...Inappropriate but tempting response: "Are your boobs real?"
Its the same level of rudeness.

3. I bought this to frame and hand up in my hat room. Two of my favorite things, cats and hats.