Monday, September 28, 2009

Shopping day


One of the few non depressing parts of The Duchess were the costumes, and more specifically that hats. Oh the hats. The real duchess loved lush Ostrich plumes, and as women followed her style soon the giant feathers were scarce and England had a plume shortage! This 1940s hat reminds me so much of the hats Keira Knighltey wore in the film, not just because of the massive feather but because it has a certain regal presence, I can't help but stand up straight and hold my head high. Plus there are little bows, and little bows are cute.
Today Lisa (Sam's mother) and I went to Buffalo Exchange and The Red Light. I got some fabulous things for my shop at Buffalo Exchange, but The Red Light was a bust. I saw the ugliest dress I have ever seen there, no joke. It was short, yellow, acid washed denim, with a zip front, wide collar, and weird pockets. The only thing I bought for myself was, what else? A hat. The second we walked into the store I saw it and snatched it off the shelf, it's a very cute cloche with a big ol' feather.

Lisa found this darling dress at Magpie Vintage a few weeks ago, isn't it fantastic? She paired it with boots to give it more of a fall feel. As you can see this is where Sam gets his stunning red hair, which really looks great against black and white.

Blouse, cardigan, hat-The Urban Eccentric

Skirt-Buffalo Exchange

Gloves and shoes-Thifted

Purse-Michael Kors

Oh wait! Not done yet! Today I made it onto The Top Ten Vintage Clothing Blogs! How cool is that? Thanks Anne!