Saturday, January 30, 2010

Estate sale finds




This morning before helping Twila Jean move from one house to another, my grandma and I went to an estate sale held at a community center. The paper said the sale started at 9:00 so we got there early, but apparently they listed the sale on Craigslist as starting at 8:00, and had to open doors then. And while there were still some really good items remaining, the clothing rack only had a few late 60s dresses left, and since most of the other items were from the 20s to the 50s I just know there must have been some great feedsack dresses or nylon blouses someone grabbed. Sigh.
I did buy some really pretty things though, three aprons for my shop, and for me three 40s cotton kerchiefs, a big collar, 1915 and 1916 books on sewing and embroidery, the coolest address book ever, a plastic bead necklace, cat eye glasses, and an orange bakelite bangle. I was really excited to find the bangle, since it was only $1! So far I've found four bakelite bangles at estate sales for practically nothing thanks to people throwing them in boxes of junky jewelry and assuming they're just cheap plastic. You can tell if a plastic is bakelite if you press it against your clothes and rub it for a few seconds, and it has a chemical smell or the rubbed part feels warm. Some people always look at me funny when I walk around smelling jewelry ;)
I really want to be more educated about bakelite, so if anyone recommends any books or websites to check out, let me know!

There was a bittersweet aspect to the sale, which was that the woman who passed away wrote little notes and attached them to things, such as "I sewed this in 1942, with linen my friend Ethel brought back from France. I had to press it often especially when it got wet." All sorts of notes in beautiful cursive on yellowed paper. It was a vintage lovers dream, because it gave dates and history. Nothing I bought had a note, but I wish I had bought something with one just for that reason! It was so sweet, I wish they had pictures of her!