Saturday, January 16, 2010

Why yes, these are cooler than cool.




A few weeks ago when I went vintage shopping in Portland my mother and I decided to check out Decades Vintage, a small but promising shop downtown. After browsing the pretty suits and dresses, I came to the case of deadstock vintage frames. And well, along with hats, cat eyes are my weakness, despite the fact that I don't need prescription lenses. So imagine my gasp when I saw these, in their red, aluminum, rhinestone glory. I asked to try them on and hoped they would look awful on me. Most cat eyes do. But not these, oh no, as soon as they rested on my nose we were instantly friends.
I reluctantly left them there that day, to think it over, after all I don't actually HAVE to wear glasses. But in the end I had to wear these, so today on the way to see The Young Victoria, I was reunited with my little rhinestone studded friend. Before the film my cousin took some pictures on a parking lot roof despite the cold rain, what a doll she is.

I actually saw two films today, The Young Victoria, and Avatar. The first I think I have to call one of my favorite films, and as my mother said afterward "there was nothing not beautiful to look at the whole time".
Everything about it was terrific, and my heart fluttered with every hat that came on screen. And although the women's costumes were of course wonderful, they had some competition from what the men wore. Nothing really spectacular, but there's something about a coat with tails that can't be beat. Although now it will be impossible to watch Pride and Prejudice (my favorite film and novel) without liking Wickham just a bit. Darn you Rupert Friend for being so cute.

Avatar was a whole other experience altogether. I'm sure you've heard about it, so I'll just say it was pretty cool, and since the 3D showing was sold out we saw it on a regular screen which turned out to be a good thing as I was dizzy without the help of 3D. It was terrific to watch, and worth the hype, but by then end I was exhausted. Because y'know I'm so out of shape I get tired just watching people run around ;)

Dress-Buffalo Exchange

Reversible Leopard Coat-Gift from Aunt

Purse-The Church of Vintage

Hat-Thrifted

Shoes-The Urban Eccentric

Glasses-Decades Vintage