Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lady of leisure

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is what I look like when I get up in the morning.

So not.

But either way, these last three photos do show my favorite dressing gowns. Dressing gowns are another lost aspect of polite society. Basically, you would get all your undergarments on, and put a dressing gown on over that. Then you would do your makeup, hair, read the morning paper, have a cup of tea, all the lovely little domestic things. I don't know exactly how long they've been around, but in the late 50s and 60s, they evolved into housedresses (or housecoats). Little loose cotton button ups, or zip ups, that you would wear either over your dress, or in place of a dress if you were between running errands or doing housework. For me, dressing gowns are like aprons, once you buy one, you just can't stop. They're just so darn pretty!

Many thanks to Lara Blair for the shoot, I'm so glad to have great pictures of my gowns and my living room!
Photobucket

And, just in case you're wondering, the picture in the blue frame is one of Amanda Atkins fabulous prints, the two little portraits are of Sam and I that I painted years ago, and the big abstract one is painted by my sister in law Caitlin :)