Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Regency inspired

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I was incredibly inspired by this post placing screen stills from costume dramas, and photos from street fashion blogs side by side, as if the photographed were inspired by the films. It's a great way to show that you don't have to be in costume to pay homage to your favorite film or character.
I recently re-watched Wives and Daughters, one of my favorite period miniseries. Although towards the end of the film it enters my least favorite era of fashion, the main character stays fairly consistant in her plain country frocks. It's always the practical fashion I love most in costume dramas, not the hight of fashion ensembles. In any film that follows the goings on of servants, I'm usually more interested in their clothing than the wealthy, fashionable families :)

With this outfit, it's mostly the hairstyle that pulls it together as "regency inspired". I just used this pincurl set, but instead of brushing the front up, I brushed it to the side, and used hairpins (not bobby pins) to secure the back up. Now I just need a bonnet....

Dress-Made by me using a 1930s pattern

Cardigan, boots, pin, and wool shawl-Urban Eccentric Vintage