Tuesday, April 13, 2010

1930s farm dress

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Yesterday I was excited to finally be in a place to sew (all boxes unpacked, house is clean, and a day off). Lately I've been wanting something simple and neutral to wear, and all my spring frocks are rather bright. So I pulled out this yardage I bought a few years ago when I was working at a fabric store, and it was just perfect to pair with this much used 30s dress pattern. Including this dress, I've made four dresses from this pattern, and am looking forward to fashioning a black wool dress in the fall with long sleeves and a white collar, and little pearly buttons :)

But anyway, I was inspired to make it by watching Gosford Park a film that takes place in an old english mansion in the 1930s and revolves mainly around one of the ladies maids. She's so cute, very plain, very simple, but I still admired her style the whole film.

So I put together a dress that was just that: Plain and simple. Neutral colors with a basic design, but a few key details. I put vintage wooden buttons on the bodice, a matching belt, tie-circle pockets on the front, and instead of a zipper a side fastening of ten buttons and hand finished button holes.

The dress still needs a little fin tuning, I am going to take in the bodice a bit as it's a little billowy, which works on others but not me. But other than that I'm quite happy with the way it turned out, I think an old barn would make a great backdrop for it for photos.

Oh and the second picture is what my sewing area looks like when I'm not sewing, and the third is the machine ready to go!