Saturday, October 24, 2009

My best dress


Besides my wedding dress, I think this is my most treasured dress. My friend Kendra gave it to me, it was her grandmothers, and it is one of the best examples of needle skill of the depression I've ever seen (certainly the best I'll ever own). Its made of silk, with a paneled skirt, and top that is stitched in a way so the seams kind of come out from the bow on the front, if that even makes sense. It even has a matching jacket, with little weights at the front, so it hangs properly. My favorite part though are the sleeves. They are amazing! The shoulders are smocked with tiny little individual stitches, and it billows down to a tight buttoned cuff. You certainly won't see sleeves like that anymore.
Needless to say I was kind of terrified when I wore it, as it's about 80 years old, and if I ripped even a little seam I'd feel so bad. But what's the point of having it if it just sits in the garment bag?
Sam and I took advantage of the beautiful fall day (all fall days should be like that) and walked around 23rd street, where Moonstruck Chocolates has their annual pumpkin pie truffles. They are sooooo yummy.
Lately I've been on a skirt shortage, they are either too small, or too big, and none of them 30s so I've been searching for the perfect sewing pattern to make what I want in every color. Last night I finally found it! Plus the pattern has a blouse, or you can make the pieces into a dress, which is fantastic. I find it much easier to make period clothing from original patterns than to wear the original stuff, because I'm just so on edge about ruining things that have lasted so long.

Dress-A gift from a friend

Hat-Thrift store

Brooch on hat-A gift from a friend

Shoes-Department store

Purse and scarf-The Urban Eccentric