Monday, March 1, 2010

Style inspiration, my auntie!












I've mentioned before how my aunt Nichole was my biggest influence for dressing in vintage, and now I actually get to show you why! Here are some pictures from when I was a little girl, and wanted to wear her red lipstick and pretty dresses, and some from now with her husband and four growing girls, where she still makes vintage style effortless. I'm sure you can see why vintage appealed to me looking at these photos, my aunt got her hands on the best vintage, and she always looked like she stepped out of the 40s or 50s, her closet full of the best dresses, skirts, blouses, and sweaters. A few months ago she made my dream come true and passed much of her wardrobe on to me, the same outfits that made me want to be so much like her. You can learn more about her on her blog Life in a Pink House, and see her cute outfits, and parenting tips. As you can see she didn't let having four girls be an excuse for letting go of vintage, she even looks cute riding a bike! So if you want some vintage inspiration from my inspiration, check her out.
My aunt influenced my style so much, and I hope that one day I can pass on beloved clothing to cousins who might love it as much as I do. Just the other day I was with my cousin Ruth and noticed she was wearing a 50s beaded sweater that was once a favorite of mine. Then I realized that before it was mine or hers, my aunt had given it to me just before Ruth was born 13 years ago, as she was afraid baby Ruth would pull off the beads and eat them. Luckily we don't have to worry about Ruth eating beads now :)

And in case you're wondering, the first photo is of me and my aunt, I'm wearing my favorite sweatshirt that reads "My cat walks all over me!" I thought I was pretty cool.