Saturday, July 31, 2010

Estate Sale

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Whenever I mention estate sales on Vixen Vintage I get comments from international readers curious as to what exactly an estate sale is, as it's mostly a U.S. thing. So today when I went with my grandma, nana, and cousin pearl, I snapped some pictures after grabbing all the good stuff.
Basically an estate sale takes place after an individual passes away, and after the deceased's family takes what is important to them. All the persons items are collected and priced, and the house is open to the public, most often on weekend mornings.
Estate sale signs are posted on main roads and neighborhood streets directing treasure hunters to the house. You have to get there early if you want to get in first, and some vintage and antique dealers will get there hours early and wait in line if they think there is something there they want. It can get very competitive!

Anyway, this particular sale was terrific, I got loads of clothing and hats, most of the clothing I will sell on Etsy, but the hats are mine for keeps!

As you can see there is anything and everything at an estate sale, from towels and toilet paper, to dining sets and dressers. Some estate sales have items priced very affordably, and some are more like walking into an antique store! But if anything else, it's a great way to explore neighborhoods and see the insides of old homes :)

My grandma has been taking my to estate and garage sales since I was a little girl, and I just love them. It can be very suspenseful waiting outside a potential jackpot, and finding something excellent for nearly pennies is the best!