Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My grandma in the 1940s and 1950s.

Photobucket
Woodlake School 8th grade photo, 1949. My grandma is the third from the right at the bottom row.
Photobucket
Notice how she's hoeing dirt in a skirt AND saddle shoes.
Photobucket
Here she is with her little brothers, she said her hair was so curly and thick she could barely get a brush through it.
Photobucket
One of my favorite pictures of her, and look at that cute dress!
Photobucket
My grandma and mother, sometime in the late 50s.
Photobucket
All grown up complete with pearls.
Photobucket
I wish more people had taken photos of their room set ups, it's great to see how people actually decorated their living rooms, and not just what magazines tell us. This was my grandmas living room, and she said that the couch and chair set was bright red! *swoon*

Recently my great grandfather passed away, and my grandma and her siblings have been working for months going through his and my great grandmas belongings (she passed away about 13 years ago). Among many, many, many other things are of course family photos! So today I'd like to share photos of my grandma in the 40s and 50s. She was born an Okie in 1936, and grew up in california. My great grandmother was a master seamstress, so most of her clothing was handmade by my great grandma. As you can see most instances in her youth required casual clothing, her style is a huge influence on my own.

I'd love to share more family photos if you enjoy these. There's some really cute outfits in lots of them!