Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Flamingo



Here is a hat I got this week. It's amazing, completely covered in pink feathers. I didn't do much today other than go to the post office and clean out the basement closet. I did however get a call from our local Discovery shop thrift store letting me know they had some vintage items if I wanted to take a look. They are so sweet holding things for me, and until I asked them if they could they were just donating all the vintage clothing to The Salvation Army. I would walk into the shop wearing a 40s rayon dress, and a volunteer would say "Oh we just gave away a whole bag of dresses just like that." And I would want to cry.
Since most of the volunteers there are over the age of 70, they think of vintage clothing as just "old stuff", and assume no one would ever want it. So the shop is filled with things from the 90s on, and since a lot of donations come from elderly women I just knew so much would go to waste unless I let them know I actually do want the old stuff.
Today I got some really pretty things including two 50s coats (One I am keeping, hehe) a few 60s and 70s dresses, and the most beautiful Eleanor Green 50s dress in red. It's really amazing and I can't wait to list it next week. There were also some gloves and a pretty hat, but those are now in my wardrobe as well ;)