Thursday, August 13, 2009

The one that got away.



When my mother and I went to the antique show last month, one of the very first booths we came to had this set sitting on a chair.
Now, at the last antique show, I found a swimsuit within the first two minutes and shelled out $65 for it. I have yet to wear it.
So I decided to be very cautious and not go crazy as soon as I walk in. Well, I regret that caution.
You see I picked this up, slipped on the collar, snuggled into the hat, and gathered my hands in the silk lined muff. They were made of real leopard. They were in excellent condition. They were from the 30s or 40s. They all matched!
My mother snapped a quick photo and I thought it would be wise to not look in the mirror just in case I loved it. I took them all off to resist the temptation of spending all my money before I even got 50 feet into the show. By the way, it was $125, a total steal.
We wandered the show, and I got some pretty wonderful things, but only spent half the money my mother gave me, thanks to my caution, and that with everything I considered nothing could quite top the jazzy leopard set.
At the end of the show we went by the booth that was selling the stylish accessories, with high hopes that no one had noticed it's stunning presence. I asked the seller if the set was still there and she told me it sold right after I left the booth. Ok, well it's a loss, but no big deal.
Then my mother showed me this photo, and I realized why the other person was smart enough to snatch up the set right after I tried it on. It's absolutely stunning, and surely a once in a lifetime find. A real leopard muff, collar, and hat set, literally at my fingertips, and I decide to pace myself. What a dummy.

So there you have my little story, and I hope that if you ever come across such a wonderful gem you are smarter than I.