Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Running away to join the circus



"What ever happened to that Solanah girl?"

"Oh she ran away with the circus and makes hats for the tattooed lady."

Last week I found this amazing old circus fabric while thrifting, and instantly thought of making a 1930s dress out of it. Kind of a "30s girl ran away with the circus and needed a new dress" dress. The fabric is already nice and worn thanks to age, it's always odd trying to make a vintage dress that is all stiff and crisp. In high school I made costumes for a play and rubbed them down with sandpaper to make them look used. I wouldn't do that for anything in my own wardrobe, but it is nice to have something look authentic and not like a reproduction. Is that weird that I would rather have worn down clothing than nice new frocks?
The pattern is the same as my 1930s bow dress, I love the pattern as it is so simple and versatile, and plan on making more, maybe even a long sleeved version for fall.

The only circus I have been to is Circ de Soleil, which is amazing, but I don't really have any desire to run away with the classic one after seeing Freaks.

Dress: Handmade by me!

Shoes: Etsy

Hat: The Urban Eccentric