Friday, May 28, 2010

I'm finally a Girl Scout! Kind of...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
When I was a little girl I was a Girl Scout Brownie, the mini version of Girl Scouts. All I remember is making puppets and most of all, wanting to become a Girl Scout for the cool uniform. I still have a bunch of badges that never made it on a sash or vest, one day I'll do something with them.
Anyway, since then I've always wanted a girl scout uniform, and in recent years, a vintage one. But whenever I came across one, it would be much too small so I figured I'd just leave that dream behind and forget about it. Here's a little secret, you are more likely to find something you've been looking for for ages, when you stop looking.
I went to work the other day to visit my boss and she was showing me a bunch of stuff she had just purchased from a theatre company, and as soon as she held up this dress I said "Ahhhh! I want it!" And then she showed me the matching scarf and socks (Socks!!!!), and that was the icing on the cake.
I'm pretty sure the uniform is from the 1940s, it has that style, and the little picture above looks like a 40s girl in the same uniform. If anyone knows anything else let me know!

Now, I wish I had some thin mints....

1940s girl scout uniform-Urban Eccentric Vintage